When the time comes to decide how to help an elderly loved one through those difficult days when they aren’t physically able to care for themselves, the decision can be a difficult one. Do you know the warning signs and what’s right for the senior in your life? By understanding the benefits and drawbacks of both in-home care and nursing homes, you can make a wiser decision.
Home care is a more private option that allows your loved one to remain in their own home. This is often less disruptive for individuals with Alzheimer’s or dementia, making it the first choice for many families. Before deciding in favor of home care, there are several things you’ll want to think about.
- Home care allows for a more personal, one-on-one relationship with the caregiver.
- It’s comfortable and familiar.
- Seniors are able to remain as independent as they are able, rather than needing to turn over basic tasks to nursing home professionals.
- In-home care is often less expensive than care out of the home. You are able to save money, while also making sure your loved one is taken care of.
- From the Heart Home Care provides professionally trained and knowledgeable caregivers so that you can trust.
Eventually, the time comes in many seniors’ lives when they simply aren’t able to care for themselves any longer. When that day comes, many may think that it’s time to start thinking about a nursing home.
- Nursing homes remove an individual’s independence and may make your loved one feel old or helpless. However, if your loved one can no longer be trusted or remain safe with their own independence, a nursing home may be the right choice if you decide against in-home care.
- Nursing homes require a transition period before feeling like “home,” which can be difficult for some seniors.They can be noisy and feel unfamiliar for a time.
- Nursing home care is often very expensive, especially for high-quality institutions.
The decision between a nursing home and home care is up to each individual and their family. It can often be a very personal decision or a logistical one. If you do decide that home care is the best option for your loved ones, check out our 7 questions to ask when considering home care to help you find the best fit.